Sunday, April 11, 2004

Level 1, Ross White, Class #4

Wow, class number four already. It's going by too fast.

The focus was on environment. I love playing in my environment, but strangely enough, I don’t often remember to do it. That’s a shame, too, because I have a much easier time getting out of my head when I am fiddling with the things in the environment we create. I have to remember to give myself things to hold and use more often.

We warmed up and started doing scenes pretty quickly. I started with Pete in a barbershop and played with the clippers, etc. I also got to do a scene with Paul where I was sitting in a car and playing with all the stuff inside it. That was fun. It was so easy to just say what came naturally when I was doing something.

We painted environments and did scenes in them. I inadvertently challenged myself by referencing D&D when I know absolutely nothing about it. That’s the kind of stuff that makes me afraid of and, but when I started to play with the little figurines it didn’t matter. I started having fun with it.

We shaped things with invisible clay and killed each other with different objects. Then we played Last Action Joke. My Arnold is terrible, but I guess everyone’s is, so that’s cool.

I was feeling kind of weak Thursday night, and it was particularly healthy for me to be working with tangibles, even though they were imaginary. It was helpful to be able to concentrate on how something is shaped, what it weighs, how it is held and used. It got me out of my head on a couple of different levels. I needed that. I had kind of locked myself in there last week, and there are still some dark, scary corners in there, though the lighting is a lot better than it used to be.

No comments: